15.8.09

Adopting a dog

We are at the moment in the middle of the process of adopting a dog. We have been asking about different dogs to adopt and we now have one potential dog in sight. We still need to get the confirmation that she is free to be adopted and we are suitable to be her family.

We are living exciting times now. I wonder how our cats will react on their new dog sister when she arrives.

I won't post any pictures here yet. I want to be sure that we really get that dog first.

This week has been a busy week. I got feedback on my thesis. The theory part was good and there are only minor changes I need to make. Now I have to think of the questions for the research part.

Later today we might go to downtown to a pet store to buy some toys for the dog etc. Everything should be ready when she arrives.


(The dog in the picture is just a random dog, only the color, chocolate brown, is similar to our potential dog.)

I have been reading different dog books on dog behavior and about training a dog. It's a new world for me but very interesting. I can already tell that many dog owners don't actually have a clue how to train their dogs and you see that in the behavior of their dogs. It isn't actually even that hard but it requires a bit of time everyday, calm behavior on the trainers part and consistency. One should never yell at their dog. That I would like to tell our neighbor, who obviously has no idea what she is doing.

3 comments:

Enkeli said...

Hi!

I don't even know how I found you but I already love your blog! :))

I'm actually also interested in adopting a pet one day, but here, in Helsinki, I don't where to go (I thought there weren't any animal protector houses) as people here don't abandone them unlike in Spain... :)

Terveisin!

Eveliina said...

Hi, thanks for your comment. :0)

There are animal shelters also in Finland, but there are not that many dogs without a home. The cat problem is much, much bigger.

We are adopting our dog from Russia. There are also many dogs in Estonia without a home.

I will write a post on this and put some links there you can check.

Check out my blog later for more info on this subject.

Till then. :0)

Enkeli said...

Ihana! ^^
Kiitti!